This special release presents the preliminary results on the construction statistics of Cebu province for the third quarter of 2019. The data is based on the number of approved building permits for the quarter issued by the Local Building Officials (LBOs). Building constructions without approved building permits are not included in the statistics presented in this report.
Summary of Results
Number of constructions during the third quarter of 2019 dropped by 26.6 percent
1. Cebu’s total number of constructions in the third quarter of 2019 reached 1,786, based on the preliminary results of construction statistics from approved building permits collected during the quarter. This reflects a decrease of 26.6 percent from the 2,432 constructions recorded during the same quarter of 2018.
The number also represents a 4.4 percent share to the country’s total construction of 40,795.
2. The number of residential building constructions totaling 1,296 represents a decline of 32.3 percent when compared to the 1,913 constructions reported during the same period in 2018. All types of residential constructions except duplex/quadruplex and other residential constructions showed decrements in number as follows: apartment/accesoria (75.3%) from 790 projects recorded in the third quarter of 2018 to 195 projects recorded during the same period in 2019, residential condominiums (66.7%), from 3 to 1 and single-type houses (2.3%), from 1,108 projects to 1,082. On the other hand, duplex/quadruplex projects and other residential constructions rose up by 33.3 percent and 66.7 percent, respectively.
3. Similarly, non-residential constructions which was recorded at 360, also dropped by 6.3 percent from the total 384 projects recorded during the same period in 2018. This was brought about by the decline in number of all non-residential constructions with the exception of commercial buildings. Constructions of agricultural buildings had the biggest drop of 80.0 percent, from 30 projects in the third quarter of 2018 to 6 during the same period in 2019. This was followed by institutional constructions (24.1%), from 58 to 44 and industrial (10.3%), from 58 to 52. However, constructions of commercial buildings rose by 9.9 percent, from 232 projects in quarter 3 of 2018 to 255 during the same period of the current year.
4. Additions to existing structures also slightly decreased by 7.1 percent. Moreover, reports on the combined number of alterations and repairs of existing structures also showed a decrease of 3.3 percent.
5. Meanwhile, report on the number of street furniture/landscaping/signboard projects showed no significant change.
Total value of constructions declined by 31.2 percent
6. Total value of constructions for the third quarter of 2019 which was estimated at PHP 9.32 billion was 31.2 percent lower than the13.56 billion recorded during the same period in the previous year. The decline can be attributed to the drop in the number of construction projects during the quarter.
7. Residential constructions valued at PHP 2.35 billion decreased by 48.5 percent from PHP 4.58 billion recorded in the same quarter of 2018. This was attributed to the decline in the construction values of residential condominiums (79.3%), from PHP1.38 billion in the third quarter of 2018 to PHP 281 million during the same period of 2019, and apartment/accesoria (67.7%), from PHP 2.01 billion to PHP 649 million. However, values of duplex/quadruplex and single residential constructions went up by 51.9 percent and 16.9 percent, respectively. Duplex/quadruplex constructions upped its value from PHP 13.6 million to PHP 20.6 million while single residential projects increased from PHP 1.19 billion to PHP1.39 billion.
8. Construction value of non-residential buildings amounting to PHP 6.41 billion also declined by 19.9 percent when compared to the PHP 8.0 billion registered during the third quarter of the previous year. This was due to the decrease in the construction values of commercial (48.5%), agricultural (38.1%) and institutional (35.6%) projects.
9. Combined construction values of alteration and repair of existing structures estimated at PHP 528 million was 39.1 percent lower than the PHP 867 million recorded in the same quarter of 2018. In the same manner, construction values for addition to existing structures estimated at PHP 21 million also significantly dropped by 79.1 percent from PHP 102.9 million during the same period in 2018.
10. Although there was no change in the number of street furniture/landscaping/signboard constructions, its value estimated at PHP 34.6 million was also 30.8 percent lower than the PHP 50 million recorded in the same period of 2018.
Average cost per square meter of construction increased by 2.7 percent.
11. The total floor area of construction for the third quarter of 2019 was estimated at 640,490 square meters. This figure was lower by 33.0 percent compared to the estimated total floor area of 956,556 square meters registered in the same period of 2018. However, the average cost per square meter of construction for the third quarter of 2019 was estimated at PHP 14,553. This represents an increase of 2.7 percent from the same quarter of the previous year’s average of PHP 14,172.
12. Residential building construction recorded a total floor area of 198,490 square meters, reflecting an average cost per square meter of PHP 11,876, an increase of 13.1 percent from the PHP 10,497 average cost for the same period in 2018. Moreover, the total floor area for non-residential building constructions in the third quarter of 2019 reached 440,115 square meters. This translates to an average cost of PHP 14,573 per square meter, indicating a decline of 6.9 percent from PHP 15,654 reported during the same period of the previous year.
Value and number of residential constructions
Among residential constructions, single-type houses recorded the most number with 1,082 accounting for 60.6 percent of the total constructions. Total value for this type was estimated at PHP 1.39 billion, with a total floor area of 132,496 square meters for an average cost of PHP 10,499 per square meter which was 9 percent higher than the average cost of residential constructions reported in the third quarter of 2018.
Apartment/accessoria/rowhouse-type units ranked second with 195 projects with an estimated value of PHP 649 million and total estimated floor area of 53,668 square meters. Average cost for these types of projects was at PHP 12,105 per square meter which was 8.3 percent higher than the PHP 11,177 per square meter recorded in the same period last year.
Residential condominiums with only 1 project, had a construction value of PHP 281 million with a total floor area of 9,796 square meters for an average cost of PHP 28,695 per square meter. While duplex/quadruplex constructions with 8 projects was valued at PHP 20.6 million for an average construction cost of PHP 15,159 per square meter.