NegOr Household Cereal Stocks in January-March 2021

Reference Number: 


Release Date: 

25 May 2021

January 2021 higher stocks level for cereals recorded vs January 2020

    Total combined household rice and corn stock level monitored on the first day of the month at 6 a.m. reached 23.90 thousand metric tons.  Of which, 14,458 metric tons are in rice form and another 9,443 metric tons in corn grain form. This the second-highest recorded combined stock volume in the whole of the first quarter of 2021.

    In terms of a sack of 50 kilograms, rice stocks are equivalent to 289,160 sacks and 188,860 sacks of corn grain.



Table 1 & 2.  Percentage share of Household stock level and Volume as 6:am on the 1st day of January        2021 vs. 2020, Neg. Oriental (In ‘000 metric ton)    

                            Source: PSA PCSS1 Survey




February Household stocks level lowest recorded for the 1st Quarter of 2021




Table 3 & 4. Percentage share of Household stock level and Volume as 6:am on the 1st day of February 2021 vs. 2020, Neg. Oriental  (In ‘000 metric ton)         

                            Source: PCSS1 Survey PSA,

    Joined household stocks monitored as of 6:00 am on the 1st day of February this year reached only 23.274 metric tons, broken to 11.66 metric tons for rice and 11.61 metric tons for corn grain.  This is 5.95 percent higher than the total stocks recorded on January 1, 2020, which is at 21.968 metric tons. The proportion of the total household stocks of the province is at a 50/50 share level for rice and corn grain. Higher stock levels were due to more corn harvests in the province for the month of January. Corn stock share increased more than 20 percent compared to its level on January 1, 2020          



                March 2021 Household stocks level higher   



Table 5. Household stock level as of 6:am every 1st day of March 2021 vs March 2020, Neg. Oriental  (In ’000 metric ton)




                         Table 5. Household stock percentage share level March 2021, Neg. Oriental

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                              Source: PCSS1 Survey PSA,


    Rice remained as the majority component of the household stocks in March for the monitoring period at 61 percent share, the rest at 39 percent are covered by corn grain.




Higher Rice and corn grain stocks recorded in Quarter 1 2021




Table 6. Total Household stock level as of 6:00 am every 1st day of January-March 2021 vs. 2020, Neg. Or.   (In ‘000 metric ton)

                                                      Source: Farm Price Survey PSA,


    Cereals Household Stocks as of 6:00 a.m. on the first day of January, February, and March 2021 totaled to a combined volume of 7,474 metric tons. Rice stocks are a majority of the share with the total volume at 4,842 metric tons equivalent to 57.32 percent of the total stocks, while Corn grain stocks retained the 42.68 percent portion at 31,862 metric tons.

    For Q1 2021, provincial rice household stocks monitored in each reference day and specific hour, increased by 3.89 percent on average, for corn grain, it raised by 18.24 percent compared to the same reference dates and time in 2020.





Table 7. Total Household stock level as of Quarter 1 2018-2020, Negros Oriental  ( In ‘000 metric ton)

                                                                            Source: Farm Price Survey PSA,


Quarter 1 2021 Total Household grains stock leveled in the same period in 2018

       Associating the combined volume of stocks tallied in the three (3) reference days of the quarter, total stocks rallied to a higher level compared to the same reference days in 2018 and 2020. This year, the total volume of household stocks tallied reached only 74.74 thousand metric tons, 32.94 percent lower than the 2019 level at 111.46 metric tons and 0.35 percent lower than in 2018 level of 75 metric tons.

      In terms of sacks of 50 kilograms, this quarters’ total household stocks are equivalent to 1,494,800 sacks, lower by 734,400 sacks compared to the same quarter in 2019 and only lower by 5,200 sacks compared to the same quarter in 2018.






Chief Statistical Specialist