Negros Oriental Cereals Production

Reference Number: 

2021-SR46-04

Release Date: 

31 March 2021

Highlights of the Palay and Corn Situation

of Negros Oriental in July to December 2019 and 2020.

 

Palay production increased by 2.6 percent

    During the second semester, Negros Oriental palay production increased from 36.91 thousand metric tons in 2019 to 37.88 thousand metric tons in 2020. Production rose by a rate of 2.62 percent equivalent to 967.50 metric tons (Figure 1).

 

   

 

More harvest in irrigated palay than in rainfed palay

 

     Irrigated palay output increased by 3.32 percent from 28.26 thousand metric tons in 2019 to 29.19 metric tons in 2020. This production in irrigated farms shared 77.07 percent of the total production of palay in 2020.

    Additionally, in rainfed farms, production increased by 0.34 percent from 8.66 thousand metric tons in 2019 to 8.69 thousand metric tons in 2020. This production in rainfed shared 22.93 percent of the total production of palay in 2020 (Figure 2).

 

 

More harvest was on the fourth quarter

     Major harvest of palay for the second semester was in the fourth quarter which reached 28.30 thousand metric tons, 74.70 percent of the total output level in the second semester of 2020. Irrigated palay in the fourth quarter 2020 reached 20.15 thousand metric tons while rainfed palay produced 8.15 thousand metric tons (Figure 3).

 

 

Area harvested increased by 3.68 percent

    Total harvested area increased from 13.22 thousand hectares in 2019 to 13.70 thousand hectares in 2020. In terms of harvest area in the second semester of 2020, 71.82 percent were harvested in irrigated farms with 9.84 thousand hectares while the remaining 28.18 percent were from rainfed farms with 3.87 thousand hectares area harvested (Figure 4).

 

 

Corn production increased by 12.50 percent

    Corn production increased from 35.09 thousand metric tons in 2019 to 39.48 thousand metric tons in 2020. Production increased by a rate of 12.50 percent equivalent to 4.39 thousand metric tons (Figure 5).

 

 

    White corn production shared 98.75 percent of the total production of corn in 2020. Harvest in white corn increased by 12.07 percent from 34.78 thousand metric tons in 2019 to 38.98 thousand metric tons in 2020.

    In addition, yellow corn production increased by 61.44 percent from 306 metric tons in 2019 to 494 metric tons in 2020. Yellow corn production shared 1.25 percent of the total corn production during the second semester of 2020 (Figure 6).

 

 

Major harvest was on the third quarter

     The volume of production in the third quarter posted the highest share of 68.80 percent of the province’s total corn output in the second semester of 2020, with 27.16 thousand metric tons. White corn in the third quarter 2020 reached 26.90 thousand metric tons while Yellow corn produced 258 metric tons (Figure 7).

 

 

Area harvested increased by 7.03 percent

    The total area harvested in corn increased by 7.03 percent from 42.37 thousand hectares in 2019 to 45.35 thousand hectares in 2020.

    White corn area in the second semester of 2020 was 99.31 percent of the total corn farms harvested of the province with 45.04 thousand hectares while the remaining 0.69 percent area harvested was from yellow corn farms with 311 hectares (Figure 8).

 

 

 

 

SGD

ARIEL T. FORTUITO

Chief Statistical Specialist

 

 

 

 

 

 

Tags: 

Attachments: