Statistics on Deaths in Central Visayas, year 2018

Reference Number: 

2020-SR07-014

Release Date: 

30 June 2020

Place of Usual Residence of the Deceased

At national level, a total of 590,709 registered deaths were reported for the year 2018. Central Visayas contributed to about 8.2 percent of registered deaths in the country. The region ranked fifth in terms of highest number of deaths recorded. (See Figure 1).

More male registered deaths than female in Region VII

In 2018, there were more male registered deaths with 26,508 or 55.7 percent compared to female deaths with 21,061 or 44.3 percent of the total registered deaths in the region.  It was noticed that highest number of registered deaths recorded between ages 85 and over with 5,444 or 11 percent of the total deaths in the region. Higher proportions of female deaths with 3,514 or 7.4 percent were observed in the older age groups, which is indicative of higher survival rates of females than male deaths with 1,930 or 4.1 percent only. (See Figure 2.)

Almost half of the registered deaths in Central Visayas were not medically attended

Out of 47,569 registered deaths in Central Visayas, 23,992 or 50.4 percent were medically attended while the remaining 23, 577 or 49.6 percent were not attended. Attendant refers to a medical doctor or any other allied healthcare provider who provided medical attendance to the deceased. (See Figure 3.)

Present proportion of registered deaths medically attended by province/HUCs

The Province of Cebu registered the highest number of not attended deaths in the year 2018, with 10,497 or 22 percent of the total deaths in the region. Second on the list was Negros Oriental with 5,033 or 10.6 percent, followed by Bohol with 4,767 or 10 percent deaths occurrence. Meanwhile, Siquijor had the lowest number of unattended deaths with 474 or 1 percent only. However, among the four provinces Cebu revealed the highest number of 8,122 or 17.1 percent were medically attended deaths in the region. On the other hand, for highly urbanized cities, Cebu City recorded the highest number of attended deaths with 4,892 or 10.3 percent, Lapu-Lapu City was second with 1,497 or 3.1 percent while Mandaue City had only 1,079 or 2.3 percent of the total deaths were medically attended. Moreover, the combined share of this cities was 15.7 percent of the total attended deaths in the region.  (See Figure 4)

Technical Notes:

Vital statistics » are derived from information obtained at the time when the occurrences of vital events and their characteristics are inscribed in a civil register. Vital acts and events are the births, deaths, fetal deaths, marriages, and all such events that have something to do with an individual's entrance and departure from life together with the changes in civil status that may occur to a person during his lifetime.

Death » refers to the permanent disappearance of all evidence of life at any time after live birth has taken place.

Place of Usual Residence» refers to the place where the person habitually or permanently resides.

Place of Occurrence » refers to the place where the vital event took place.

 

Approved by:

 

(SGD.) ARIEL E. FLORENDO
Regional Director

 

 

 

Tags: 

Attachments: