Releases

Search Releases by Year

Civil Registration Release

BIRTH STATISTICS IN SIQUIJOR

Release Date: 6 May 2022
Reference Number: 2022-SR61-007

Decrease in number of registered live births:  2020-2021

The province of Siquijor is experiencing a decrease in the number  of registered live births between the years 2020 and 2021.  The figure below shows the decreasing number of live births registered all throughout the six (6) municipalities in the province.  There were 1,035 total live births registered in 2021, which is 272 live births lower compared to the total registered live births in 2020 pegged at 1,307.

The decrease in the number of total number of registered live births may be attributed by the socio economic factors brought by COVID-19 pandemic.  The pandemic is likely to deepen poverty issues among Filipino families and believed that a smaller family

size will help keep up with its challenges, thus, postponing parenthood and childbirth.  Further, a number of women nowadays participated already in the labor and employment and has its share in keeping one’s family financially afloat and most likely contributed to the postponement of childbirth.

Highest occurrence of birth in the Municipalities of Lazi and Siquijor:  2020-2021

More births consistently occurred in the Municipalities of Lazi and Siquijor between the years 2020 and 2021, thus proportional to its population and area.   Even if the number of live births decreased in 2021, the two (2) municipalities was observed to remain in its post to have the higher number of occurrences of birth compared with the rest of the municipalities.

Meanwhile, the two (2) municipalities is where the Provincial Hospital and Medicare Hospital are situated thus contributed to its number of occurrences of birth.  And visibly, pregnant women avail of the maternity services offered by these government hospitals.

Sex ratio in 2020 and 2021

There were more males born compared to females in 2020. Male infants comprised 52% of the total registered live births while newborn female infants contained the remaining 48%.

Meanwhile, in 2021 more female infants were born compared to male newborns which represents 51% and 49%, respectively.

More births occurred in November 2020 and May 2021

At the onset of COVID-19 pandemic, the figure shows that in 2020 particularly the month of November showed the highest birth counts at 137 or 10.5% of the total registered births. This shows that the babies born in November may have been conceived in the month of February considered as the love month. 

The months of September and October with the same number of birth counts at 123, and both constitutes 9.4%.  On the other hand, the month of March had the least birth counts at 71 and comprised 5.4%.

In terms of daily average, November with the highest number of birth counts, can be translated to an average of five (5) births per day.  On the contrary, March which had the lowest birth counts, can be translated to an average number of two (2) births per day.

Meanwhile in 2021, the month of May registered the highest number of birth counts at 103, which is 10% of the total number of registered births.  This was followed by the month of October at 96 births or 7%.  While, the month of March registered the least number of birth counts pegged at 61, which comprised 6% of the total number of registered births.

With regards to the daily average, the month of May having the highest number of birth counts can be interpreted to have three (3) births born daily. On the other hand, month of March had the lowest number with two (2) births per day.

Explanatory Notes:

 

(SGD.) AURELIA M. CANDA
Chief Statistical Specialist