This special release presents the preliminary results on the construction statistics of Cebu province for the fourth quarter of 2019. The data is based on the number of approved building permits for the quarter issued by the Local Building Officials (LBOs). Building constructions without approved building permits are not included in the statistics presented in this report.
Summary of Results
Number of constructions during the fourth quarter of 2019 dropped by 12.3 percent
1. Cebu’s total number of constructions in the fourth quarter of 2019 reached 2,025 based on the preliminary results of the construction statistics from approved building permits collected during the quarter. This number represents a decrease of 12.3 percent from the 2,309 constructions recorded during the same quarter of 2018. The number also represents a 5.4 percent share to the country’s total construction of 37,256. Cebu also ranked second to Cavite (4,382 constructions) with the most number of construction projects in the 4th quarter of 2019.
2. Of the said figure, residential-type buildings recorded a total of 1,467 construction projects, which was 18.6 percent lower than the 1,813 residential constructions recorded in the same quarter of the previous year. This was brought about by the decline in the number of apartment/accesoria projects (49.0%), to 398 from 780 and duplex/quadruplex (44.4%), to 5 from 9 projects. However, all other types of residential constructions showed increases in number as follows: residential condominiums (100%), from 2 to 4 projects, other residential projects (100%), from 3 to 6 and single-house projects (4.3%), from 1,019 to 1,063 projects.
3. Meanwhile, non-residential constructions posted an increase of 8.7 percent from its previous year’s level of 344. The growth can be attributed to the increase in the number of constructions of the following: institutional buildings with 74 (54.2%), commercial buildings with 238 (4.4%) and other non-residential constructions with 7 (133.3%). However, industrial constructions registered a drop of 21.6%, to 40 from 51 projects recorded during the same period of the previous year.
4. Reports on the combined number of alterations and repair of existing structures showed an increase of 21.3 percent, from 136 projects to 165. On the other hand, additions to existing structures declined by 37.5 percent, from 16 projects recorded in the 4th quarter of 2018 to 10 projects reported during the same period of 2019.
5. Meanwhile, report on the number of street furniture/landscaping/signboard projects showed an increment of 43.9 percent from 57 to 82 projects.
Value of construction projects in Cebu slightly declined
6. Aggregate value of construction projects in Cebu for the fourth quarter of 2019 was estimated at PHP 8.22 billion. This value was 2.1 percent lower than the 8.39 billion recorded during the same period in the previous year. The decline can be attributed to the substantial decrease in the number of apartment/accesoria projects during the quarter.
7. Residential constructions valued at PHP 3.08 billion decreased by 28.1 percent from PHP 4.28 billion recorded in the same quarter of 2018. This was attributed to the decline in the construction values of apartment/accesoria (76.8%), to PHP 653 million from PHP 2.8 billion, and duplex/quadruplex constructions (31.4%), to PHP 6.66 million from PHP 9.71 million. However, construction values for all other types of residential constructions went up during the quarter. Residential condominium projects posted the biggest increase of 198.5 percent, this was followed by other residential constructions, 30.2 percent and single-house projects, 22.8 percent.
8. On the other hand, non-residential-type constructions valued at PHP 4.48 billion climbed up by 17.4 percent from PHP 3.82 billion recorded during the same period of the previous year. This was due to the increase in the construction values of commercial (34.3%), to PHP3.14 billion from 2.34 billion and other non-residential projects (914.6%) to PHP 28 million from PHP 2.8 million.
9. Combined construction values of alteration and repair of existing structures estimated at PHP 643.6 million was 131 percent higher than the PHP 278.6 million recorded in the same quarter of 2018. Meanwhile, construction values for addition to existing structures estimated at PHP 9.3 million dropped by 40.6 percent from PHP 15.7 million recorded in the same period of 2018.
10. Although there was an increase in the number of street furniture/landscaping/signboard projects, its value estimated at PHP 50.6 million was 74.8 percent lower than the PHP 200.8 million recorded in the same period of 2018.
Average cost per square meter of construction decreased by 18.5 percent.
11. The total floor area of construction for the fourth quarter of 2019 was estimated at 735,017 square meters. This figure was 20.1 percent higher than the estimated total floor area of 612,096 square meters registered in the same period of 2018. However, the average cost per square meter of construction for the fourth quarter of 2019 was estimated at PHP 11,184. This value represents a decrease of 18.5 percent from the same quarter of the previous year’s average of PHP 13,722.
12. Residential building construction recorded a total floor area of 313,113 square meters, reflecting an average cost per square meter of PHP 9,833, a decline of 32.9 percent from the PHP 14,651 average cost for the same period in 2018. Moreover, the total floor area for non-residential building constructions in the third quarter of 2019 reached 419,927 square meters. This translates to an average cost of PHP 10,689 per square meter, indicating a decline of 11.1 percent from the PHP 12,021 per square meter reported during the same period of the previous year.
Value and number of residential constructions
13. Among residential constructions, single-type houses recorded the most number of projects with 1,063 (72%). Total value for this type was estimated at PHP 1.35 billion covering a total floor area of 127,293 square meters for an average cost of PHP 10,613 per square meter. This was slightly higher by 2.3 percent compared with the average cost of residential constructions reported in the third quarter of 2018.
14. Apartment/accessoria/rowhouse-type units followed next with 398 projects or 26.96 percent of the total residential constructions. It has an estimated value of PHP 653.4 million and a total estimated floor area of 104,697 square meters. Average cost for these types of projects was at PHP 6,241 per square meter which was 63.9 percent lower than the PHP 17,313 per square meter recorded in the same period of 2018.
15. Residential condominiums with only 4 projects had a construction value of PHP 1.06 billion with a total floor area of 80,354 square meters for an average cost of PHP 13,259 per square meter. Meanwhile duplex/quadruplex constructions with 5 projects were valued at PHP 6.67 million for an average construction cost of PHP 12,118 per square meter.
Value and number of non-residential constructions
16. With an estimated value of PHP 4.48 billion and a total floor area of 419,929 square meters, non-residential constructions had an average cost PHP 10,689 per square meter in the 4th quarter of 2019.
17. Commercial- type buildings with 238 projects accounted for almost two-thirds (63.6%) of the total non-residential constructions. Value for this type was estimated at PHP 3.14 billioncovering a total floor area of 273,722, yielding an ave. cost of PHP 11,492 per square meter.
18. Institutional-type buildings reported a total of 74 projects (19.8%) with a construction value of PHP 647.1 million. This translates to an average cost PHP 10,434 per square meter.
19. Industrial-type building followed next with 40 construction projects (10.7%). It has a total estimated value of PHP 618.7 million and total area of 66,531 square meters for an average cost of PHP 9,300 per square meter.
20. The least number of non-residential constructions was reported for agricultural-type buildings with 15 or 4 percent of the total. Its value was estimated at PHP 48.7 million with an estimated floor area of 17,667 indicating an average cost of PHP 2,759 per square meter.